Thursday, January 15, 2009

Knit a Purse


A friend of mine was about to have a birthday so I asked what she wanted. She replied "Could you knit me a backpack purse?" I had a knitting book handy so she chose the pattern and I embarked on an adventure.

The pattern wasn't for a backpack purse but a messenger purse. I figured it was close enough. Then I went to the internet to order some yarn. Since the purse would be used bunches (I hope) I decided to use hemp yarn. I found some that was softened with a bit of cotton and ordered it in a nice warm fall color. I knit a few samples to figure out which needles to use then embarked on the the project. The front of the purse is a lacy pattern and the rest is a simple garter stitch. The lace was fun to learn and kept me interested. The garter stitch is so easy that I got some t.v. time in while knitting.

Once the knitting was done, I had to figure out how to finish my creation. I didn't want it to lose shape so got some interfacing and ironed it in. Next was the lining, then the straps. I must admit that I've never made a purse quite like this before but I'm pleased with the results and gave it to my friend at her birthday lunch.

If, as they say, you must challenge one's brain with new and different challenges, I've just finished mine for the month!

1 comment:

Tibcat said...

What a gorgeous colour! How did you find knitting with the hemp yarn? The woman must be so pleased with your work :)

Love, Sylvia