Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Scary Dairy

Wow, just when I'm about to whine about how cold it is, Mother Nature gives me pause. Yesterday was a fabulous day here. The temp was in the low 60s and it was crystal clear.

We took a couple of hours out of our day and went to the flying field and while Don did practice flights I took a walk. Since access to the park area is restricted I felt OK walking by myself. A quick 10 minutes got me to the "Scary Dairy". There used to be a mental hospital in Camarillo and the group The Eagles hit song "Hotel California" was about our hospital. The picture on the front of their vinyl album was taken there. The main part of the hospital has been renovated and is now the Channel Islands campus of the California State University system. What very few people know is that the hospital had their own dairy farm. The remains of the farm - a regular barn and a structure that might have been a milking barn are still there. A few years ago we had a competition at the field and I was talking to a couple of teens and they said that the dairy was on the net with the title "Scary Dairy". I looked it up and you can see some of the best pictures of what remains at this website:
http://www.valleyhaunts.net/showthread.php?tid=155&pid=932#pid932

The only haunts that I found were a covey of quail and a red-tailed hawk!

1 comment:

Kenmore Library Advisory Board said...

Very cool! Is that near the barn with all the bullet holes in it where Ryan found all his treasures a few years ago?